Star Count cookie recipe
Bake some tasty star-shaped cookies to take with you on your family star-gazing adventure
This simple recipe is great to make with children.
What you’ll need:
- A star-shaped cookie cutter
- 1/2 cup (112g) softened butter or margarine
- 3/4 cups (150g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dairy or non-dairy milk of your choice
How to make your cookies:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Cream the butter/margarine and sugar together, then add the vanilla extract.
3. Sift the flour into another mixing bowl and add the baking soda and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix in by hand until crumbly. Add milk and mix in to create a big ball of dough. If your mix is too crumbly to form a ball of dough, add in a little more milk until it does.
5. Flour your hands and a baking mat and transfer the ball of dough to the baking mat.
6. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to around 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, dip your star cookie cutter into flour so it doesn’t stick, and cut out your cookies. Transfer the cookies to a parchment lined baking tray.
7. With the remaining dough, form it into a ball and then roll it out again and repeat.
8. Place the whole tray into the freezer for 15 minutes, so that the cookies keep their shape during baking.
9. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
10. Using oven gloves, remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely before packing them up to take star-gazing!
Download your free family activity star count pack for more activities